Baking before 7am on your day off. That deserves a high five. Actually it was totally worth it! We made blueberry bagels. SICK BRO. Fully chewy, delicious and kinda a bit purple!
Recipe adapted from- taste.com
Prep time- 45 min
Total time from start to finish- 2 hours
Baking time- 20 minutes @ 200 degrees c
7 grams dry yeast
185g warm water (around 37 degrees)
100g blueberries (thawed if frozen)
70g caster sugar
large pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1 tbs milk
2 tbs raw sugar to sprinkle bagels before baking
Cream cheese and blueberry jam for serving. Of course the more cream cheese the better.
FOLLOW THESE WORDS AND YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF WITH 8 BLUEBERRY BAGELS
- Combine water, blueberries, yeast and 2 tablespoons of caster sugar in a jug. Set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour the yeast mixture into the well and stir until mixture just comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a large bowl and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 30 minutes or until dough rises by half.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine extra water and remaining caster sugar in a large saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
- Brush an oven tray with oil. Divide dough into eight even portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Push a lightly floured finger/ wooden spoon through middle of ball to create a hole. Spin the bagel around your finger/ wooden spoon and pretend to be an italian pizza guy. Flatten ball slightly. Place on oiled tray, cover with a tea towel and set aside for 10 minutes to rise slightly.
- Add 4 of the bagels to the sugary simmering water; cook for 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to turn; cook for another 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to remove and return to oiled tray. Repeat with remaining bagels. The longer you stammer them the chewier they will become.
- Whisk egg yolk and milk together in a bowl. Brush evenly over each bagel; sprinkle with sugar. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees celsius or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Serve toasted with cream cheese and blueberry jam.